BC Consultants, a leading Northern Virginia land-development design firm, seeks a full-time Project Engineer to join our team in Fairfax, VA.
You are a civil engineering graduate with three to six years of experience in land development design. You understand all of the elements that go into a plan, and are ready to become a lead designer. You will work on a team of highly experienced professionals who will challenge you to grow as a land development professional.
You are competent with all areas of design, including grading, storm drainage, stormwater management, sanitary sewers, water mains, erosion and sediment control and the local jurisdiction requirements. You have designed complete sections of a plan, and are ready to accept design responsibility for the entire plan.
You will work on a variety of different project types, including residential, commercial and governmental. You will meet with clients and reviewers, and assist with the instruction of junior staff. You will interact with the other disciplines in the office daily. You will work closely with your Project Manager to monitor project performance and quality control.
You are highly capable using AutoCAD and Microsoft Office. You should have your Fundamentals of Engineering license (EIT), and be working towards your P.E..
You are able to write effectively, and have excellent interpersonal skills. You are detail-oriented, creative, self-starting, and relate well to all levels. You have a positive attitude, a strong work ethic and a good sense of humor!
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Engineer will perform design work for all phases of projects for all plan elements including: storm drainage systems, sanitary sewer systems, storm water management and BMP facilities, street layout, basic grading, house sitings, bond estimates/reductions.
- Perform plan drafting using CAD software and appropriate design software.
- Prepare calculations for projects.
- Participate in client and coordination review meetings.
- Provide engineering support to planning staff.
- Research and develop standards for new design tools.
- Assist with training new project engineers and provide technical guidance.
- Provide oversight to CAD technicians.
- Process project plan revisions through municipalities.
- Work within budgets and schedules.
- Visit development site for site analysis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervision Received and Exercised
- Reports directly to the Project Manager; in the absence of the Project Manager, reports to the Senior Project Manager.
- No direct supervisory responsibility; may serve as lead for new project engineers.
Internal and External Contacts
The Project Engineer regularly interfaces with employees, vendors, and clients.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college or university
- Fundamentals of Engineering License required
- 3 to 6 years direct experience as a civil engineer, performing site design using AutoCAD
- Northern Virginia market experience a bonus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of CAD, design software, Microsoft Office
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, meet deadlines and work as part of interactive team
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to obtain P.E. license
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires extensive sitting and working at a computer
BC Consultants is a leading Northern Virginia land-development design firm.
Our highly experienced civil engineers, land surveyors and landscape architects collaborate on a variety of public and private sector projects across Northern Virginia and the Northern Shenandoah Valley. Our current projects include residential, schools, assisted-living and mixed-use developments.
We offer a friendly, family-oriented work environment and potential for growth. We offer competitive pay and benefits, and are conveniently located in Fair Lakes, in western Fairfax County. BC Consultants is an equal opportunity employer.