BC Consultants, a leading Northern Virginia land-development design firm, seeks a full-time Senior Staff Engineer to join our team in Fairfax, VA.
You are a civil engineering graduate with one to four years of experience in land development design. You understand the basics, but want to take on a larger role in the design of a project. We will put you on a team of highly experienced professionals who will challenge you to grow as a land development professional.
You should be familiar with all areas of design, including grading, storm drainage, stormwater management, sanitary sewers, water mains, erosion and sediment control and the local jurisdiction requirements. Having mastered individual design tasks, you will be taught to design complete elements of a land development plan.
You will work on a variety of different project types, including residential, commercial and governmental. You will begin to meet with clients and reviewers as part of the team.
You should be competent using AutoCAD and Microsoft Office. Ideally, you will have your Fundamentals of Engineering license (EIT).
You are able to write effectively, and have excellent interpersonal skills. You are detail-oriented, creative, self-starting, and relate well to all levels. You have a positive attitude, a strong work ethic and a good sense of humor!
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Staff Engineer will work on all phases of site development including grading design, roadway design, and storm water management systems design.
- Perform design work for series of tasks on all plan elements including: storm drainage systems, sanitary sewer systems, storm water management and BMP facilities, street layout, basic grading, house sitings, bond estimates/reductions.
- Perform plan drafting using CAD software and appropriate design software.
- Assist in preparing calculations for projects.
- May participate in client and review coordination meetings as appropriate.
- Visit development site for site analysis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervision Received and Exercised
- Reports directly to the Project Manager; in the absence of the Project Manager, reports to the Senior Project Manager.
- No supervisory responsibility.
Internal and External Contacts
The Senior Staff Engineer regularly interfaces with employees, and may interface with vendors and clients.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college or university
- Fundamentals of Engineering License preferred
- 1 to 4 years direct experience as a civil engineer, performing site design using AutoCAD
- Northern Virginia market experience a bonus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of CAD, design software, Microsoft Office
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, meet deadlines and work as part of interactive team
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to obtain Fundamentals of Engineering license (EIT) if not already obtained
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires extensive sitting and working at a computer
BC Consultants is a leading Northern Virginia land-development design firm.
Our highly experienced civil engineers, land surveyors and landscape architects collaborate on a variety of public and private sector projects across Northern Virginia and the Northern Shenandoah Valley. Our current projects include residential, schools, assisted-living and mixed-use developments.
We offer a friendly, family-oriented work environment and potential for growth. We offer competitive pay and benefits, and are conveniently located in Fair Lakes, in western Fairfax County. BC Consultants is an equal opportunity employer.