BC Consultants, a leading Northern Virginia land-development design firm, seeks a full-time Staff Engineer to join our team in Fairfax, VA.
You are a recent civil engineering graduate with little or no experience in land development, but are interested in gaining a broad spectrum of design experience. We will put you on a team of highly experienced professionals who will introduce you to land development one task at a time.
You will be exposed to all facets of design, including grading, storm drainage, stormwater management, sanitary sewers, water mains, erosion and sediment control and the local jurisdiction requirements. By working on different tasks on a variety of projects, you will learn about the entire land development process, not just one area over and over again.
You should have experience using AutoCAD and Microsoft Office.
You are able to write effectively, and have excellent interpersonal skills. You are detail-oriented, creative, self-starting, and relate well to all levels. You have a positive attitude, a strong work ethic and a good sense of humor!
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Staff Engineer will work on all phases of site development including grading design, roadway design, and storm water management systems design.
- Learn basic individual task design work for all plan elements including: storm drainage systems, sanitary sewer systems, storm water management and BMP facilities, street layout, basic grading, house sitings, bond estimates/reductions.
- Learn plan drafting using CAD software and appropriate design software.
- Visit development site for site analysis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervision Received and Exercised
- Reports directly to the Project Manager; in the absence of the Project Manager, reports to the Senior Project Manager.
- No supervisory responsibility.
Internal and External Contacts
The Staff Engineer regularly interfaces with employees.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college or university
- Fundamentals of Engineering License preferred
- No prior experience required; intern experience is a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learn CAD, design software
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, meet deadlines and work as part of interactive team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to obtain Fundamentals of Engineering license (EIT) if not already obtained
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires extensive sitting and working at a computer
BC Consultants is a leading Northern Virginia land-development design firm.
Our highly experienced civil engineers, land surveyors and landscape architects collaborate on a variety of public and private sector projects across Northern Virginia and the Northern Shenandoah Valley. Our current projects include residential, schools, assisted-living and mixed-use developments.
We offer a friendly, family-oriented work environment and potential for growth. We offer competitive pay and benefits, and are conveniently located in Fair Lakes, in western Fairfax County. BC Consultants is an equal opportunity employer.